Memories of Christmas Past

Memories.  We all have them.  Happy, sad.  Memories we'd like to forget.  Some we'd like to relive.

I had the opportunity to sift through some of those memories for an art project I recently worked on.  The memories that stand out for me are my childhood Christmas Eves.  In my Italian heritage, we celebrate The Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve.

This feast was a festive occasion with lots of aunts, uncles, cousins and food!  First one house, then another.  More food, more presents, more memories.

Now, many of my relatives are gone.  I live in a different state from the rest of my relatives.  And when I recall the Christmases of my childhood, it is with sadness.  Not joy for what was or nostalgia or happiness that I have wonderful childhood memories.  But sadness for what is no longer.  Sadness for what will never be again.

This video, with my daughter signing "Where are You Christmas?,"  Cindy Lu Who version, expresses the sadness and loss I feel perfectly.  Please take a moment to watch it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeE9kbHO6xs





Angela Di Cicco

Labels: , , , , , , ,